Saturday, August 21, 2010

What is the weapon of choice when you go deer hunting ?

I know zilch about hunting; no one in my immediate family hunts or cares to do so including myself.





I am curious though.What is the weapon of choice when you go deer hunting ?
For long ranges open ranges...


A bolt action rifle chambered in 308 or 30-06 with a scope with at least with 50mm objective lens....


Rifles like that i like


Savage 110


Remingtion 700


Mossburg 4x4





Hunting in Lots of brush.


Lever action 30-30. Iron sights.


Rifles I like


Marlin 336a


Winchester 1870





I like my firearms personaly, with synethic stocks, with stainless steel barrels and actions. WIth a duracoat finsh on it. MAinly beacuse. These our working guns. You drop them, nick them, get them in mudd they get rained on and so on.


I hope this helps.





SpankyWhat is the weapon of choice when you go deer hunting ?
Depends upon where I am hunting and how I am doing it.





If I am in thick woods and stalking the deer, I use a 12 guage pump shot gun with deer slugs or a short barrel rifle such as a Winchester 94. I want something that is not going to get hung up on the brush with a lot of power up close. A scope is not needed, peep sights are fine.





If I am stand hunting and looking over a big open area waiting for deer to appear, I want a very accurate scoped rifle, such as a bolt action. I will have time to think out the shot and can place it accurately. I prefer this method of hunting as there is less chance some idiot will see me moving and think I am a deer.
.264 cal. .30/30 cal. .300 cal.
If you don't care about hunting why don't you try to borrow a rifle from a friend or the person you go hunting with. I wouldn't spend several hundred dollars on a firearm then find out I really hate hunting. You will lose your backside when you try to get rid of it. For a first time Hunter/buyer I would recommend a used weapon. Try a gun show. You are still looking at $400.00 and up. A Savage Model 110.111.112 in 270,308 30-06 or .243. Not knowing where you live or intend to hunt makes it hard to be real precise about good advice.
boy your going to get all kinds of answers for this one. Im an avid hunter and i use a Remington 700 bdl .270 on everything.It dosent kick and it will take down anything you can hunt in north America without having to chase it and track it forever.I wouldnt use a 30-30 unless your going to be hunting in alot of brush,plus the 30-30 just dont stop like the .270.And i wouldnt go down to a .243 thats smaller then a .270 and you stand a good chance of wounding your animal rather than killing it with one of those unless your varmint hunting.
katana
30-06 is all anyone ever needs to hunt all North American game*...you never have to buy another Rifle when you have a 30-06*...
.54 caliber black powder rifle. Copy of a Hawken rifle. Other than that, in Illinois a shotgun or handgun are allowed as well as black powder.
I use a .243win weatherby rifle with Winchester ballistic silver tip 95grain ammo. The .243win is a good all round caliber. Its not too big to use on the odd feral cat or rabbit and not too small to knock over pigs ad deer.





I use the ballistic tips because they penetrate and expand better the power points or soft points, which makes for a humane kill. I don't like to see them suffer.





My two mate that i go hunting with, one uses a 7mm Remington mag (.275cal, close to a .270) and that knocks the down. In my opinion its a elephant gun i reckon. i suggest the .243win
I still favor my old tried-n-true Remington 700 ADL .25-06 bought new in 1974 for a hundred-nineteen bucks. This is the most accurate out-of-the-box rifle I have every owned. It came with the factory 24'; barrel no frills and I only added the sling swivels, sling and a 3x9 scope. Eventually I plan to have a recoil pad added to the original stock (not because of the recoil but to add a bit of length at the shoulder). I will probably get a new scope as the old one has kinda lost some of its brightness. But truthfully, I'm kinda scared to change anything so I may just leave it in the gun rack and try my brand-new 6.5 Remington Mag Model 673 Guide rifle on deer this year.





H
I love anything in 30 caliber. I personally own a 30-06 remington Bolt action. The '06 was developed in 1906, and is still one of the most popular rounds in use today. It is very versatile, being at the expensive edge for plinking and varmint hunting, while being big enough (at the low end) for BIG game (bear, elk, water buffalo, etc) and is a perfect size for deer (black tail, white tail and mule) which will be 100-220 pounds, depending upon species and location (some grow bigger or smaller depending on food and the deer population). The .30-30 is a perfect 'brush' gun, as is the .35 remington. These are both made for a lever action rifle, and excellent in accuracy and power for shots under 100 yards, although a new development by by Horandy has allowed for them to have a ballistic tip, which increases their range and accuracy, allowing for good kill shots at nearly 200 yards.





The .270 is also an excellent round, being slightly smaller than a 30 cal, or the 7mm remington magnum. I am partial to the .30-06, because that is what I grew up on.
browning a-bolt 30-06 with a nikon monarch scope, backed by a ruger gp100 .357 with the 4 inch barrel. also do bow hunting with a browning.
i depends on the season i guess. i really can stand hunting but my friends love it. i guess you have to use a bow and arrow some weeks and a gun other weeks. apparently its a law now in NY to use certain weapons during certain periods of the year.
Which gun has killed more deer than any other? That is the question you should be asking. A 30-30 is the only gun you will ever need if you know how to use it. If you live in north America, a 30-30 will stop anything that inhabits the forest. Some people may not think so...but that is my opinion.
Whitetails I'd not use a caliber smaller then 243. I've hunted with 30.06 (Single Shot HR SB2) and with 7.62x39 (SKS Yugo) for muleys I prefer the 30.06 or 270 for the reach out and touch them capable accuracy.
Most versatile is the 30-06. I do have one of my daughters who has killed more deer with a Buick than most people ever do with rifles, only downside is that they are only good for hamburger.
For me it is my Husqvarna H-5000 chambered in .30-06. I have killed many a deer with this rifle. Any type of mid-high powered rifle is preferred for deer.
Since it is the only rifle I own,I have to say my T/C Fire Hawk .50cal. in-line muzzle loader.
Depends on geographical location. Right tool for the right job, so to speak. Also on state regulations, and your skill lvl.
NEF Handi-Rifle in 45-70
Remingtion 270 model 700 ADL, It has taken many deer over the years for me, I also have the Remingtion 30-06 model 700 BDL, It has never been fired, It is one beautiful gun.





The 700 they're the best, IMO!
1984 chevy silverado pickup. Knocks them flat every time. I wish they would make hunting season longer to get the deer population down so this would stop happening and our ins payments could go down!
6.5x55mm swedish mauser or .270


course more deer have been taken by the old lee enfield 303 in this country than all other calibers put together
i have hunted and shot guns for 50 years.i want a gun that shoots good and is easy to handle.if you put a cheap scope on a good gun you will be sorry. when it comes to scopes,you get what you pay for.i shot many different kinds of rifles and settles on a browning lever action 7mag .it is topped with a leupold 3.5-10x50 illuminated recticle.it is very easy to hang on to.it is very accurate and has many loads that it can use
It depends upon where I go and the species of deer I hunt. For general North American hunting, I use a .300 Winchester Magnum Sako ';Finnbear Deluxe'; bolt-action rifle. That is big enough to KO the biggest deer and is too much for many. It is also one of the best guns %26amp; shells for long-range shots. My brother used a .30-30 Winchester Model 94 lever-action that shoots faster than my bolt-action, but it has much less range and power. For whitetail deer at 150 yards or less, the .30-30 is fine. My .300 kicks a bit much for my brother. He only weighed 225-235, while I weigh 310-360.
Well, states limit it to three types of guns and then bows. rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders. Some states only allow shotguns and muzzleloaders, but some allow rifles. It really depends on the person and what they are comfotable with.
There are so many choices. Rifles, shotguns, muzzleloaders, bows. It's the hunters preference. I personally prefer to use a .30-'06 rifle, or a .50 caliber muzzleloader. I used to like to bow hunt, but gave that up over the years. So I'll stick with what I just wrote.
For me it depends on the terrain. I usually hunt with a .270 for rifle season. Its a good flat shooting gun with decent range and knockdown power. 30-06 is another good choice for whitetail in open territory or mixed vegitation. If you are hunting in very thick brush I'd suggest sticking to a 12ga shotgun with either buckshot 00 or slugs. Forget the 30-30, that's for spray and pray hunting. Personally I like my Mathews bow as my weapon of choice because I like archery season best.
bow and arrow or shotguns...depending on the season
I am 14 years old, and my first year hunting was two years ago in 2005. I live in western PA and my first year I used a Marlin 30-30 Win. Then, in the past year 2006, I used my Savage 30-06 and my grandpa's Winchester 7mm Magnum. Killed two deer with the 30-06 and 7mm, and are two great, and very popular guns. Hope you get a chance to hunt.
Well from what you said I am not sure why you are asking. This answer has no correct one and no wrong one. It all depends where and who you are. Shotguns are good for areas with allot of people and houses around. Rifles are good for long range and just normal hunting. Muzzle loading rifles are good if you want to be a little primitive but not to the point of a bow. Bows are good when you want to be as natural as you can. Large caliber pistols are good in close situations where you are looking to be eye to eye with your prey. Bad sides...Shotguns are almost useless at any but close range (100 to 200 yards) so are pistols and bows. Muzzle loaders are too but with some modern things like sabot ed bullets the range is extended.Rifles are the longest ranged but there is danger as far as you have to either hit or know whats beyond your target so no person is put in danger.

No comments:

Post a Comment