Friday, August 6, 2010

What is the best way to entertain yourself when hunting?

I go hunting for deer both seasons and by the fourth day, i am bored and i have no idea what to do. usually, i pick up a stick and start carving it. what can i do that wont scare away the deer?What is the best way to entertain yourself when hunting?
I have found that any thing you take to entertain you while on stand, will, at some point in your hunting career, cost you a wall-hanger.I have lost several in my life, because of the distraction I had took with me to help pass the time. Just use your thoughts, and solve the worlds problems, think about a lost or a future love, anything that keeps the mind occupied will cause time to go by faster.It's best not to use gadgets that will distract you.What is the best way to entertain yourself when hunting?
I go hunting because I like the tranquility of the woods. bringing anything that makes sound will harm your chances. Eating sweets that have scent will also harm your chances.





If you hunt enough, and are dedicated enough, you will some day realize that there is Deer hunting, and there is BIG BUCK HUNTING.





Doe's have different habits than bucks, and a big mature buck has more refined wary habits than a young buck. When you realize this, and truly learn the habits and capabilities of a mature buck, you will start shooting them.





I pass up dozens of deer each year, and almost always shoot an 8 point or better; last year a 9, the year before, a 10 point. When you get like this, just being patient is enough.





Also it helps to have a busy job, monthly mortgage, a nagging wife, and a screaming kid, to truly appreciate the quiet nothingness of Deer hunting. It put everything into perspective.





A young bull said to and old bull, ';Hey lets run down to the meadow, and F@%26amp;k a cow';. To which the old bull replied ';No, lets walk, and F@%26amp;k them all';





There really is no entertainment, not without consequence.





I hope this helps.
I read a few of the answers didn't see mine. I use a hunters ear it has a safety device built in so if gun hunting it will block out loud noise and not cause me any harm. but I mostly hunt Archery with this device in my ear I can hear thing you cannot so sensitive I can hear a turkey a mile away so what I do to entertain myself is I identify what I am hearing with aether sight or memory and write it down when ever possible time of day,location etc. sort of like a report to my self.
I assume you are are stand hunting... I agree with the comments about distractions making you miss great opportunities. If you want however, a stalk style hunt will keep you busy and attentive constantly. I also have a short attentio... oh look, a Ferrari! (kidding :-)) ...span and couldn't stand sitting around all day, so I know what you mean.
Hunting isn't about entertainment, and distracting oneself while participating in the pursuit of game.* Hunting is within you mentally, physically, spiritually, and emotionally or it isn't.* Give it up.*
I usually hunt in a shooting house so I read. Read a few lines, look around and repeat. If I'm in a stand, I don't like to have any extra items laying around ready to fall off, and since I'm a dreamer I tend to preoccupy myself with my thoughts.
I hunt in a home made deer tower, not deer stand, and I usually bring a bag of resses chocolate and an I-pod or Mp3 or something, the deer cant here it, and it seems as though they show up quicker when your entertained :)
Bring along an Outdoor Life magazine. Haven't subscribed? It's definitely worth the money. If you truly love the outdoors and love to read, then this is the right reading material for you. And reading does not scare the critters.
The big advantage to whistling is you won't have to gut out and carry/ drag back any carcass. It is much better to think about your deer and where it might be watching you. Hunting takes patience.
well...when me and my dad go i take a mp3..(i wouldn't buy a ipod for hunting) go to wall-mart and buy a cheap-o for around 20-45 dollars or higher for a good one...and just kick back and listen to music while you wait that's what i do durning turkey %26amp; deer season
Read a book, listen to an Ipod, draw, play a video game, etc.. Just make sure you cover your movements by hunting from a blind or treestand.
both i pods and gameboys and booksare also good and magazines
dca20033 is the only one who answered correctly.





Nicely put!
I've been taking my Ipod and/or phone and playing games on them.

No comments:

Post a Comment