Saturday, August 21, 2010

What is the best type of Choke for my shotgun when hunting Phesant?

Also what is the most appropriate shot? Number 4 or 6?What is the best type of Choke for my shotgun when hunting Phesant?
My answers are given with the assumption that you are using a 20 gauge or larger shotgun.


You'll have to consider the distance with which you anticipate taking your shots. If you are hunting over dogs, or if the birds are holding tight, with shots being 25 yards or less, then an open choke is best, and smaller shot will work fine. Modified will be best if your shots will be between 25 and 40 yards, and either 4s or 6s will work. Anything longer than 35 yards would be best served with a tighter choke, so full would be best there, and I'd go with a larger pellet like a 4 so that each pellet has enough energy to penetrate deep enough to do it's job.What is the best type of Choke for my shotgun when hunting Phesant?
I prefer modified and 7 or 71/2 shot. I like 6 for rabbit though.
Since I live in pheasant country (North Dakota) and we don't have any pheasant farms around here, I use a 20 ga, full choke with #6 shot all season long and I hunt over a English Springer Spaniel. I use this combination for short shots, long shots and anything in-between and haven't been disappointed.
MOD. #6 shot
sorry for laughing but the guy who guides hunts...I hope he guides better than he spells lordy lordy...anyway i have been hunting pheasants in Nebraksa/kansas for 35 years I have ever only used Modified choke and #4 and #6 shot in a 12 gauge and 20 gauge and the success rate has been excellent.
modified choke with #6 shot-sometimes 7 11/2 shot.
Modefied
full choke and #6 shot.
I don't know-why don't you leave the animals alone and find something constructive to do with your time!
#6 shot, full choke for pheasant. But if your hunting cackling hen(kelc for example) I'd say OO buckshot modified choke.
Early in the season I would suggest a more open choke, Improved Cylinder is what I start out with. As the season progresses and the birds get a little more jumpy, or if the conditions change I might put in the Modified tube. I have never hunted pheasant with a full choke.





Oh, and I use #5 shot all season long.
i hunt and gide on a phesant persurve and guys come in and with ic or modes choke but if it really windy i till them to put in full because the brids are really quick and hold tight on days like that but i use mods 90% with # 5 shot its kinda hard to fine but winchester still makes tht shot size but either 4 or 6 shot works really is up to

No comments:

Post a Comment